|The Church of the Holy Redeemer was founded in 1872 with the building of a small brick church on South Walnut Street. About 12 families worshipped with Rev. I.G. Selb, C.PP.S., as assistant priest of Minster. Priests of the congregation of the Precious Blood served the parish until 1895 when services were discontinued and the people worshipped with the St. Augustine congregation in Minster.|
In 1948, Rev. Leo Boeke, a diocesan priest, was appointed to make preparations for the establishment of a permanent parish. Property was purchased at Pearl and Herman Streets while the congregation used a building on North Main St. for worship. This building was later moved to the new location. It was dedicated on June 27, 1948 with a Solemn High Mass.
Early in 1957, Rev. Boeke was replaced by Rev. Bernard Felix who was followed in 1959 by Rev. William Buchheit. Rev. Carl Will succeeded him in 1964. He later oversaw the purchase of the rectory at 21 South Main Street, the purchase of the property on South Eastmoor Drive and the construction here of the present church in 1969 and parish center in 1976. Rev. William Schwartz became pastor in 1981. Then in June of 1984, Rev. James Trick became the sixth pastor of Holy Redeemer Church which registered 435 families and 1473 parishioners. Rev. R. Daniel Conlon was appointed pastor from August, 1996 until August, 2002, at which time he was installed as Bishop of Steubenville. Rev. John Kroeger was the interim pastor until June, 2003 when Rev. Tom Mannebach was appointed. Currently there are 625 families and over 2,000 parishioners at Holy Redeemer with over 640 students in the CCD program.
The vision of the CCD program at Holy Redeemer is to be a place where young people can feel accepted and loved, share a sense of belonging, and grow in their knowledge of and love for the Lord. Currently we are blessed with over 140 volunteers from our parish helping in this effort as teachers and support personnel ministering to the students. In 1993, we began Junior High and High School Youth Ministry programs. Our program follows the Archdiocesan "SUCCESS" model giving the youth opportunities sponsored by the parish to socialize together, be supported by adults and peers in their struggles, be enabled for leadership roles in the church, help serve others needs, and have more opportunities for spiritual growth.
In the Spring of 1991, ground was broken for the Connector and completed that same fall. In the Connector, there is a Pastor's office, adult lending library, secretary's office, Coordinator of Youth Ministry office, conference room and meeting room. At the time of building the Connector, the entrance of the church was changed, and an entrance and restroom for the handicapped was added. In the Summer of 1992 the landscaping was put in. In 1995 the floor of the sanctuary was reconstructed and new carpet installed. In 1999 a statue of Mary, our Lady of Grace, donated by the Rosary Altar Society, and flowerbed was added to the courtyard.
Many ministries within and beyond worship have continued and have strengthened and enlarged the parish. These include visiting the sick and shut-ins, communion to the sick by lay person on Sunday morning, collection counters, adult, youth and childrens choirs, lectors, ministers of Eucharist, ushers, babysitting, pre-school religious ed., CCD, youth ministry, and Children's Liturgy of the Word, all involving the lay members of our parish.
Come to know this great family.